About Torta de RicottaTorta de Ricotta is an Italian tart filled with ricotta cheese. Sometimes referred to as Italian cheesecake, it can be found it in every panaderia in Argentina. Ricotta is an Italian whey cheese that dates back to the Bronze Age - that’s BC, folks. The name literally means “recooked,” referring to the reheating of the whey, which is a by product of other cheese making. Low in fat, high in protein, and recycled content no less. It’s practically good for you. This is my favorite tart ever - so creamy and moist! Hope people enjoy it!
11 tbs / 156 grams butter
1/4 cup / 50 grams sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/3 cup flour / 181 grams de harina
1 tsp / 5 milliliters vanilla extract
3 tablespoons / 45 milliliters water
21/4 cups / 500 grams of ricotta
2 egg whites
5/8 cup / 125 grams of sugar
1 tablespoon / 15 milliliters vanilla extract
InstructionsMaking the Dough
- Mix butter and sugar in a mixer or mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and keep mixing.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add all the flour and keep mixing.
- Add water and keep mixing until it forms a dough.
Making the Tart
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a portion of the dough to make a thin layer in the bottom and along sides of the pan. Set in refrigerator.
- Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients with a hand whisk.
- Stretch the left over dough into a circle that can cover the whole tart pan.
- Take the mold from refrigerator. Pour in the filling and then place the leftover circular dough on top. You can fold sides over the top layer to look classy.
Just Bake It
- Bake at 350 until golden on top = approximately 50 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from mold.
- Dowse with powdered sugar if you dare.