CHRISTMAS PANETONNEYou see them all over the mall this time of year - that big bread in a box that looks like fancy fruit cake, but don’t be fooled by this Williams Sonoma scourge! Homemade panetonne is super tasty and fluffy, fairly easy to make, and an Argentine Christmas must. Panetonne hails from Milan, a fashion and opera mecca, thus its innate fanciness. It’s a sweet bread studded with jewel-like pieces of fruit and nuts. After I baked these 2 loaves, I ate one. Thank goodness, I gave the other away to a friend!
2 packets (.75oz each) dry yeast (Live yeast is best (use 3 times as much as dry), but not necessary.)
¼ cup warm milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 whole egg and 2 yolks (save egg whites for later)
6 tbs sugar
2 tsp malt extract
2 tbs vanilla extract
2 tbs lemon zest
1 tsp orange blossom
½ cup warm milk
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons soft butter
Select to taste a ½ cup of a few of the following ingredients:
- Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup warm milk on stove top.
- Add the sugar and flours. Mix until it forms bubbles.
- Take off heat and cover the bowl. Place in warm environment and let the fermentation mix rise until it doubles in size.
Making the Dough
- Once the fermentation mix has risen, in a separate big bowl, combine the egg, yolks, sugar, malt extract, vanilla extract, lemon zest, honey, the fermentation mix and 1/4 cup warm milk.
- While mixing, with a wooden spoon (my grandma said), slowly add sifted 2 cups of flour. Alternate this with adding the soft butter and another 1/4 of the milk.
- Knead until it is a soft ball, cover and let sit until it doubles in volume.
- In a separate bowl, mix the fruit and nuts in a bowl with 2 tbs of flour.
- After the dough has risen, mix the fruit and nuts into it.
- Separate dough into two equal parts.
- Place in paper molds, cover and let rise again.
- After its second rising, brush with egg whites and make cuts in a cross on the top of each (kitchen scissors work well).
Just Bake It
- Cook in oven 320° to 350° for 40 minutes in small molds or 50 minutes in large ones.
- Once cool, decorate the top with melted chocolate and or fruit if desired.