About MedialunasMedialunas (literally half moons) have been called the Argentinian croissant. They are smaller than their French counterparts and come in two flavors - sweet and savory. These pastries are a daily staple for many Argentinians, enjoyed any time of day. The medialuna de manteca is the sweet, plump, buttery version that usually requires a napkin at some point.
1oz bakers yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon warm water
21/4 cups (500g) flour
1/4 cup (45g) sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Empaste (butter filling):
1 cup (260g) butter
1/4 cup (50g) flour
Almibar (simple syrup):
1 cup (200g) sugar
1/2 cup (100g) water
InstructionsMaking the Dough
- Combine the yeast, sugar and water. Mix until creamy and frothy. Set aside and let it rise.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix.
- Once the yeast has risen, add it to the flour, sugar, salt mix and fold in 1 egg.
- Knead and keep adding water (about 1 cup) slowly until you get a soft dough.
- Cover and let it rise.
- Combine in another bowl flour and butter and mix to make the empaste (butter filling).
- Stretch the dough in a rectangle and smear the empaste on top. Fold it in 3 parts, and let it rest.
- Roll it out into a rectangle. Fold the rectangle in 3 parts, turn 90 degrees. Roll out again making a rectangle, and fold in 3 parts.
- Wrap in film and leave in refrigerator overnight.
- Unwrap, sprinkle flour on your work surface, roll out and fold into 2 parts.
- Leave it to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
Shaping the Medialunas
- Stretch the dough in a rectangle. Cut in 6" strips. Then cut into multiple triangles, about 4" at the base of the triangle.
- Roll the widest part of the triangle to the opposite point. Curve and place the medialuna on a buttered sheet.
- Brush an egg wash on each medialuna.
- Bake at 375° Fahrenheit until golden on top.
Glazing and Eating
- When the medialunas are in the oven, bring the alimbar (sugar and water) to boil until there are numerous small bubbles.
- Brush the cooled almibar on top of the warm medialunas when you take them out if the oven.
- Shove into mouth as soon as possible. Have fun and enjoy!!