Baking Halloween Killer Bread
Halloween Killer Bread
October 2016Argentinians don’t normally celebrate Halloween, so I am unaccustomed to this custom. My first attempt at culinary gore is an orange bread with bloody berry guts spilling out from a sugar knife-inflicted wound. Fortunately, the neighbors didn’t call the cops. It’s quite tasty!
7/8 cup or 7 oz of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/3 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup of orange juice
Blood and Guts:
1 bag frozen mixed berries
2/3 cup of powdered sugar
4 tablespoons berry juices
1 cup of sugar
InstructionsMaking the Bread
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix butter and sugar.
- Add lemon zest.
- Slowly add the sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) until doughy.
- Place the batter in a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Test with toothpick to see if done. If it comes out clean (no blood), it's ready. Remove from oven and let it cool.
Blood and Guts
- Cook the frozen berries until they release some juice.
- Strain the berries and set aside.
- Add powdered sugar to remaining juice juice and heat for a couple more seconds.
- Drip and drizzle the juicy mixture on top of the orange bread to make it bleed.
- Use leftover berries as guts to surround the bread wound with.
- Heat 1 cup of sugar until it turns into a brown liquid.
- As soon as it gets syrupy, drizzle onto a piece of parchment paper in the form of a knife. It will harden fast. Watch out it is very hot!
- When hardened, stab the knife into the top of the bread.
Happy Halloween! Es riquisimo!!!